Thursday, October 22, 2009

Month #1 -- Earning the daisy center.

Tonight we're having our first official troop meeting. I will be working with the girls on earning our daisy center. Most of the online GS sites I've read recommend making bracelets with beads the color of each of the petals for this goal. I was planning to have the girls make nametags tonight, and it occurred to me that we could incorporate the beads into that project. I am also hoping to start working lessons like "use resources wisely" and "make the world a better place" into each project we do. For example, our nametags start with a recycled piece of plastic. The plastic comes from the library cards at work. When the cards come to us they are secured in a sheet of 6 -- each card actually being 2 pieces, a wallet card and a keychain card. We normally cut the plastic braces apart and discard. As a joke, a coworker suggested we should find a craft to make out of them. Inspiration struck at just the right moment, and I saw the beginnings of our nametags.
I cut and glued cardstock to the plastic braces using a craft glue, and then let it dry. Then I wrote the girls' names in the top section, leaving the large opening for the girls. My plan is to give the girls markers and ask them to do whatever they like on their nametag. They can write their name again or draw pictures or both. Whatever makes them happy. Then we will insert cords through the punched holes, stringing beads as we go. I prepared enough nametags for the girls, my assistant and for myself. As well as one extra, just in case.

1 comment: